Medieval market square
in Wodzisław Śląski
One of the largest market squares in Silesia, marked out within existing borders as early as in the year 1257. Today, the Old Town of Wodzisław and its outskirts are promenades, benches and fountains, as well as a shady park bordering the market square from the north. Beer gardens are recommended during the high season and charming restaurant squares, which are a common view over there when the weather is good. A stone’s throw from the accommodation, 3 km distance.
A classicist building located between the market square and the city park, which today serves as the building housing the Municipal Museum. It has been revitalized since 2018. This museum is primarily devoted to the history of Silesia, and more strictly, to Wodzisław and the surrounding area.
Neo-Gothic Knight Tower (colloquially the Romantic Tower)
Mining gallery for training miners in Wodzisław Śląski
The mining gallery located at Gałczyński Street has a regular educational function for students of mining crafts, though tourists who are interested in the climate prevailing in a real mine are also provided with the opportunity for going underground. A total of approx. 500 meters of mining chambers are waiting for you. It’s 5 km to the place, less than 10 minutes by car.
The renovated railway station was adapted for the Wodzisław Śląski Interchange Centre and the Social Activity Centre. The building was reconstructed through conservation work. The bricks forming the facade have a natural color – red. The facility was enriched with elements of light illumination.
Jedłownik manor house
The establishment of the Manor house dates back to the 1880s. It was built by Gotfryd Hesse. Located in the Jedłownik district of Wodzisław Śląski, it perfectly fitted into the local landscape. Currently, it serves as a Nursing Home for children of the Congregation of the Sisters of Divine Providence.
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Wodzisław Śl.
The church was designed by the architect Ludwig Schneider from Wroclaw in the neo-Gothic style. It was erected in the years 1909-1911. The height inside reaching up to the ceiling in the central nave is 14 m, and in the aisles 11 m. The line connecting the altar and the entrance to the church is not completely straight, but points slightly to the left, which symbolises Christ, who dying on the cross, bowed his head slightly. In 1983, a 4-metre painting done on wood, depicting the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was placed above the main altar.
Basilica of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Pszów
It is located in the center of the town of Pszów. The baroque church dating from 1747 together with the small Calvary of the Cross surrounding presents as one of the most important monuments of the town. It is here that since the eighteenth century the faithful have also been coming to ask for the grace of healing Our Lady of Pszów, also known as the Smiling Lady.
Ruins of Tworków palace
Most remote from the selected attractions, but definitely worth going to, at about 30 minutes distance (20 km). Tworków is a village located near the city of Racibórz. The ruins of the neo-Renaissance palace have been entered in the official register of monuments of the Silesian Voivodeship. The slightly deteriorated structure and edges of the building are currently being restored by Polish and Czech monument conservators. The entire building makes a really impressive impression. We highly recommend a tourist trip to Tworków.
Workers' housing estate of the "Marcel" mine in Radlin
The estate was built at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries for workers of the Emma mine operating in the town (called Marcel since 1949). The estate’s buildings were erected in front of the mine buildings. There are houses of the management, lodging houses, traditional Silesian multi-family houses and some public buildings. Among the designers of the colony were famous architects, among others Hans Poelzig.